The vehicle being tested is a 1999 Chevy Suburban with no fuel pressure. This truck had a new fuel pump installed and still did not have fuel pressure. In this video I will show you how to troubleshoot this entire fuel pump electrical system, including the fuel pump relay, wiring and computer.
Engine Performance Diagnostics chapter 3 page 26
- no start with good spark
- no fuel pressure
- no trouble codes
- repair wiring to the fuel (new pump was wired backwards
- how to test a fuel pump relay in a power distribution box.
- power side switched circuit design description and operation.
- Fuel pump power and ground testing.
- how to manually jump a fuel pump from the fuse box
- how to test a fuel pump relay
- relay pins (what each one does and how to test them)
- how to verify computer control of the fuel pump relay
- bias voltage (what is it, how to use it, how it can cause misdiagnosis when using a voltmeter)
- wiring diagram review of a fuel pump relay circuit in my classroom (a ScannerDanner premium segment)
- how to measure fuel pump current
- what sets a fuel pump relay control trouble code
- ATD Tools 5519 Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter
https://www.jbtoolsales.com/atd-tools-5519-auto-ranging-digital-multimeter-with-protective-holster#oid=1014_1 - incandescent test light https://www.jbtoolsales.com/otc-3633-mini-circuit-tester#oid=1014_1
- backprobing pins AES' Electronics Accupuncture Probes http://www.aeswave.com/cart.php?m=affiliate_go&affiliateID=60df1b5cf6e5582af6ff81c728f42d0d&go=http://www.aeswave.com/AES-Electronics-Accupuncture-Probes-p9474.html
- (Chapters 14, 15,16) Fuel Delivery and Fuel Pressure Testing
- Fuel Pump Electrical Circuits Description and Operation
- Fuel Pump Relay Problem
- How to test and fix a PGM-FI main relay on a Honda, Acura
- How to test an electric fuel pump (1997 4.3L Chevy Blazer CPI)
- Fuel pump electrical circuit diagnosis (no fuel pressure testing) GM
For more information on this topic, I have written a “field manual” called Engine Performance Diagnostics which is available at www.scannerdanner.com as an eBook or paper book.
Want even more diagnostic training? Whether you are a DIY trying to fix your own car, someone looking to become an auto technician, or a current auto technician that wants to get more into diagnostics, subscribe to ScannerDanner Premium https://www.scannerdanner.com/join-scannerdanner-premium.html There is a 14 day free trial.
On ScannerDanner Premium I will bring you right into my classroom at Rosedale Technical College. You will find page for page lectures taken right from my book as well as exclusive classroom type case studies. What is so special about these classroom case studies? I pull live problem vehicles directly into my classroom and we troubleshoot them in real time, using and applying the theory and testing procedures we learn during the classroom lectures. There is no better on-line training of how to troubleshoot automotive electrical and electronics systems anywhere!
Due to factors beyond the control of ScannerDanner LLC, it cannot guarantee against unauthorized modifications of this information, or improper use of this information. ScannerDanner LLC assumes no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. ScannerDanner LLC recommends safe practices when working with power tools, automotive lifts, lifting tools, jack stands, electrical equipment, blunt instruments, chemicals, lubricants, or any other tools or equipment seen or implied in this video. Due to factors beyond the control of ScannerDanner LLC, no information contained in this video shall create any express or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or the information contained in this video is the sole responsibility of the user and not ScannerDanner LLC.